Another great meeting in the history books. Here are the notes.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or you would like to join us for some of the upcoming efforts.
AVIxD Annual Meeting
April 4, 2018 – SpeechTEK
Note: See presentation on SlideShare at: https://bit.ly/2GNhvxz
- We need YOU! Looking for more involved people at all levels
- Many hands make light work!
- Next Meeting: AVIxD Virtual Membership Summit – May 4th, 2018, Noon Central time.
- Increasing AVIxD membership – growing the pipeline from “occasional member” to “involved member” to “board.”
- Open forum for discussion
Challenge from Jim Larson: He would like to see AVIxD do something on:
- Guidelines for designing for Multi-Modal, i.e. Alexa Show and similar devices
- Job description for VUI designers.
- We already have something of a start on that with the presentation today at 4:30 pm: AVIxD presents: What Makes a Customer Experience Designer
Group discussion: Difficulty of hiring designers
- Some designers have “pompous” or difficult attitude
- People with pure usability background may be more humble
- Is knowledge of a specific tool a job requirement? Probably not
- What about people coming from a computational linguistics / NL background? Could be a good fit
- What about outreach to STC (Society for Technical Communication) chapters? This could be a good source of memberships / interested people
Discussion about Tools
- Convergys has Pathmaker tool which is open sourced
- Other people are still using a variety of tools
- Group seemed very open to the idea of having virtual members meetings which would be like Brown Bags but instead of having a speaker we would have a variety of topics like a round table.
- Since so many of us are the only ones in our organization it is important to get that sharing.
Outreach to Chatbot companies
- Bot part works well, how to also use them to support IVR?
Idea for AVIxD website – Collect links to VUI educational resources other places on the web – Need a bit of a web refresh
Discussion topic – “Voice” vs. “Conversational” Design
Outreach to universities
- Promoting student memberships at places with computational linguistics programs such as UCSD, Berkley
- International universities